Hey, guys! If you are chickpea lovers as much as we are, you’re going to L-O-V-E these healthy and easy to make Chickpea Lettuce Wraps! They are vegan, gluten-free… and ohhh, they taste sooo amazingly good!
To be honest, our little tribe is a huge fan of chickpeas : ) We love to indulge ourselves with this Colorful Chickpea salad with spring greens, our beloved homemade hummus, as well as delicious sauteed chickpeas. And this spring, we felt in love with these simple and insanely tasty Chickpea Lettuce Wraps! Ahh, what took us so long? : )
These colorful and nutritious beauties are such a lovely idea for a light spring lunch or dinner. Here, I made two versions: one with sauteed chickpeas with sun dried tomatoes and arugula and the other one with red peppers and spring onion. Both taste sooo good and the kiddos absolutely love them! Also, the raw sunflower seed dressing goes so well with the wraps… Just, try it!
Ingredients for Easy and healthy Chickpea Lettuce Wraps:
*For the sauteed chickpeas
400 g soaked, rinsed, well-cooked and dried chickpeas (or canned chickpeas)
2 tbs. coconut oil
1/2 tsp. turmeric
1/2 tsp. red pepper
1 tsp. Ras-El-Hanout
Himalayan pink salt to taste
* For the lettuce wraps
sun dried tomatoes, chopped
red peppers, chopped
spring onion, chopped
* For the raw sunflower seed dressing:
1/2 cup sunflower seeds, soaked for at least 1 – 2 hours
1/2 cup water
freshly squeezed lemon juice from 1/2 lemon
1 large garlic clove
1 tbsp. fresh dill, chopped
1/4 tsp. fresh ground pepper
extra virgin olive oil
a pinch of Himalayan pink salt
Instructions for Easy and healthy Chickpea Lettuce Wraps:
1. In a in a deep skillet (preferably non-stick) heat 2 tbsp. coconut oil over medium-high. Add turmeric, red pepper and Ras-El-Hanout and cook for 30 seconds, stirring occasionally. The spices will become more fragrant.
2. Add the dried chickpeas and a pinch of Himalayan salt. Sauté 7-8 minutes, stirring often until the chickpeas are browned and crispy.
3. In the meantime soak the sunflower seeds in water for 1-2 hours. Drain the sunflower seeds and put them in a high powered blender. Add 1/2 cup water, the lemon juice, garlic, ground pepper, fresh dill, extra virgin olive oil and a pinch of Himalayan pink salt. Blend until completely smooth. If you want, add more water to adjust the consistency.
4. Now it’s turn to make our incredibly delicious Chickpea Lettuce Wraps! Fill each lettuce leaf with 2 tbsp. sauteed chickpeas. Top this gorgeousness with chopped sun dried tomatoes and arugula or red peppers and spring onion.
Enjoy these nutritious and incredibly delicious vegan beauties, dear friends!
Photo credit: Tofobo Family