Hello, loves! This year the winter has been sooo cold here. Last month we had extremely low temperatures around -20 degrees, which was quite unusual for us! At least, we were blessed with tons of beautiful white snow that brought us true happiness : ) Also, the insanely cold weather didn’t stop us playing with the kids in the snow. So, besides our beloved vegan hot chocolate, this super yummy creamy vegetable soup was one of the best treats for those freezing days.
Zucchini, carrot and potato creamy soup is a simple but incredibly delicious dish. However, to make it really nutritious and protein-rich I decided to top this loveliness with sauteéd chickpeas and green peas. And our kids’ beloved hemp seeds of course : )
To be honest, the idea for the topping came out of the fact that we had some cooked chickpeas left from the hummus we made the same day. I decided to sauté the left chickpeas and some green peas as well. It turned out a perfect winter treat that would certainly warm you up and will make you happy : ) Check out the lovely vegan recipe below!
Ingredients for Creamy vegetable soup, topped with chickpeas and green peas:
*For the soup:
2 medium zucchini, roughly chopped
2 large potatoes, peeled and chopped
3 carrots, chopped
1 medium onion, chopped
2-3 cloves garlic, halved
1/2 can coconut milk
1/2 tsp. turmeric
1 tsp. dried dill
pinch of black pepper
Himalayan pink salt to taste
*For the sauteed chickpeas and green peas:
200 g soaked, rinsed and well-cooked chickpeas (or canned chickpeas)
200 g frozen green peas (or canned green peas)
2 tbs. coconut oil
1/2 tsp. turmeric
1/2 tsp. Ras-El-Hanout
2 garlic cloves, crushed
pinch of Himalayan pink salt
Instructions for Creamy vegetable soup, topped with chickpeas and green peas:
1. Mix chopped zucchini, potatoes, carrots, onion and garlic in a saucepan. Add enough water to just cover the veggies, cover and bring to boil. Simmer 10-15 minutes over medium-low heat, until the vegetables are tender.
2. Season with turmeric, dried dill, black pepper and Himalayan pink salt.
3. Remove from the heat and puree the soup along with the coconut milk until smooth.
4. Let’s prepare the topping of the soup! Heat 2 tbsp. coconut oil over medium-high. Add turmeric, Ras-El-Hanout, garlic and sauté for about 1 minute. Pour a little water and bring to boil. Add the green peas and simmer for 4 – 5 minutes over medium-low heat until peas are bright green and soft. Add the chickpeas and a pinch of Himalayan salt. Sauté while stirring occasionally for another 2 minutes.
5. Pour the creamy vegetable soup in large bowls. Garnish with sauteéd chickpeas, green peas and hemp seeds. Serve and enjoy this crazy deliciousness with your family : )
Wishing you a beautiful day!
Photo credit: Tofobo Family ©