Hey, loves! As huge fans of beans, our little tribe has a family tradition to prepare once a week healthy nutritious vegan bean dishes. So, I can’t wait to share with you one of our favorite recipes so far: Greek giant beans baked with mushrooms and red & green peppers. A hearty, flavorful and satisfying comfort food dish, that tastes simply amazing! To be honest, it takes some time to prepare it, but believe me it’s all worth it!
If you haven’t still tried Greek Gigantes (Greek giant beans), you’ll be really surprised by their huge size. They are really GIANT : ) In fact, they’re the base for the classic traditional Greek dish, called Gigantes Plaki (baked giant beans, slow cooked in a tomato sauce with plenty of fresh herbs). We modified a little bit the recipe by adding mushrooms, carrots and red & green peppers. Ah, this lovely combination is absolutely fantastic! Let’s take a peek.
Ingredients for Greek Giant Beans Baked With Mushrooms And Peppers:
400 g colored Greek giant beans
200 g mushrooms
2 large onions, cut into half moons
2 cloves of garlic, minced
1 red pepper
1 green pepper
2 carrots, sliced into circles
2 tomatoes, grated
2 tbsp. coconut oil
1/2 tbsp. turmeric
1 tsp. smoked red pepper
1/2 tsp. black pepper
1/2 tsp. salvia
Himalayan pink salt to taste
Instructions for Greek Giant Beans Baked With Mushrooms And Peppers:
1. Soak the beans in water overnight. Drain and rinse them with plenty of water.
2. Place the giant beans in a large pan and boil over medium high heat until tender but not cooked.
3. In the meantime, heat the coconut oil over medium high heat and saute the onion and the minced garlic.
4. Place the drained Greek gigantes into a large baking pan. Add the sauteed onion and garlic, and the sliced carrots and peppers.
5. Add the tomato puree, 300 ml water and all the spices, then stir well.
6. Preheat the oven on 180 C and bake for about 30-40 minutes.
7. At the end, add the mushrooms, stir well and leave the pan 5 more minutes in the oven.
Well, guys, I truly hope to enjoy this nutritious vegan recipe for Greek giant beans baked with mushrooms & peppers! It goes perfectly with a slice of yummy sourdough bread : ) M-m-m, enjoy!
Photo credit: Tofobo Family