A couple of mounts ago, we had a fantastic Saturday lunch in one of the coolest vegan restaurants in our city. That was the moment when the kiddos and I felt in LOVE with the Mexican tortilla. To be honest, neither of us have ever tried it before. Since our two monkeys were too excited to eat this deliciousness again, I decided to surprise them with my own version of homemade vegan tortilla. And thankfully, it turned out pretty well : )
Instead of the traditional filling (with black beans & rice), I filled our tortilla wraps with chickpeas, red lentils and some yummy fresh veggies. And they tasted sooo amazingly good! Both kids just loved them and in fact, they turned out a total hit with the family!
One of the best things about homemade vegan tortilla is that it is incredibly easy to make. You need only a few simple ingredients: whole-grain flour, salt, coconut oil and water. Oh, and a pinch of love of course : )
Let’s see what we need for this insanely delicious recipe for Mexican vegan tortilla!
Ingredients for Homemade Vegan Tortilla With Chickpeas And Red Lentils:
* For the tortilla wraps (serves 4):
1 cup whole-grain flour
1/2 tsp. salt
¼ cup water
2 tbsp. coconut oil (we cook only with coconut oil )
* For the filling (serves 4):
1/ 2 cup red lentils
1/2 cup chickpeas
salt to taste
1/2 tsp. paprika
1/2 tsp. turmeric
salt to taste
1 onion, sliced
2 carrots, grated
2 red peppers, sliced
Instructions for Homemade Vegan Tortilla With Chickpeas And Red Lentils:
1. Soak chickpeas and red lentils (separately) for 12 hours. Discard soak water and rinse them with fresh cool water.
2. Place chickpeas in a saucepan, bring water to a boil and cook on a low heat. 15 minutes later, add red lentils in the saucepan and cook along with the chickpeas for another 30 minutes.
3. When the chickpeas and red lentils become soft, season with turmeric, paprika and salt. Drain the water and leave them cool to room temperature.
4. In the meantime, let’s make our homemade vegan tortilla wraps! Mix flour, salt and coconut oil in a large bowl. Slowly add water and knead the dough until it becomes smooth and silky. Let rest for 10-15 minutes.
5. Divide dough into four balls. Sprinkle some flour on a flat surface and roll each ball into a thin circle.
6. Put a large pan on a high heat. Cook tortillas very quickly for about 30 seconds per side or until they get lightly browned. Put tortillas on a plate and keep them warm.
7. Fill the tortillas with red lentils, chickpeas and fresh veggies (onion, carrots, red peppers, cabbage and rocket salad).
I hope you will fall in love with my version of homemade vegan tortilla as much as our two monkeys did : ) Of course, you can always fill your tortilla with any other ingredients you like. I’m sure it will be irresistibly yummy. And don’t forget to make one of your favorite dipping sauces! The kids wanted to prepare their beloved tahini sauce that perfectly fit the tortillas : )
Have a beautiful day!
Photo credit: Tofobo Family ©