Hello, lovelies! Today inspiration is this healthy and refreshing Iceberg lettuce salad, mixed with ground apple, avocado and red cabbage. To be honest, we are huge salad lovers at home. I can’t even imagine living without an abundance of fresh veggies and insanely delicious salads. We tried this new salad recipe this autumn and it turned out a total hit with our two monkeys. In fact, they both are big fans of iceberg lettuce salad. Therefore, we usually eat it all year round by mixing it up with our favorite seasonal veggies.
Besides the iceberg lettuce, it turns out the ground apple (also known as yacon) is one of our favorite veggies this autumn! Luckily, Toni’s parents grow ground apple in their stunning fruit and vegetable garden. And I have to admit, we are really impressed by its crunchy texture and sweet flavor. Its health benefits are pretty amazing too! Although yacon can be steamed or baked, we really prefer to eat it raw in yummy fresh salads. And this one, it’s all worth it!
Ingredients for Iceberg lettuce salad with ground apple, avocado and red cabbage:
1/2 small iceberg lettuce, leaves shredded
1/2 medium head red cabbage, shredded
4-5 ground apples, peeled and grated
1 avocado, sliced
1/2 cup of alfalfa sprouts
2 tsp. hemp seeds
1/4 cup freshly squeezed lemon juice
2 tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
Himalayan salt to taste
Instructions for Iceberg lettuce salad with ground apple, avocado and red cabbage:
1. Combine iceberg lettuce, red cabbage and grated ground apple in a large bowl.
2. Drizzle with lemon juice very quickly in order to preserve the color of the ground apple.
3. Add 2 tbsp. extra virgin olive oil, season with Himalayan salt and stir.
4. Put the salad on plates and top with hemp seeds, sliced avocado and alfalfa sprouts.
5. Serve and enjoy this healthy and super delicious Iceberg lettuce salad for lunch or dinner : )
Wishing you a fabulous day, friends!
Photo credit: Tofobo Family ©