Hey, dear friends : ) Today, we are talking about quinoa! This amazing gluten-free and protein-rich grain, originated in South America has become a favorite super food over the past few years. And, happily, it’s a beloved part of our plant-based family’s diet. Beside being packed with enormous health benefits, this wonder grain is so versatile and easily prepared (in the same way as rice). Its delicate texture is great for breakfast porridge, bread and yummy desserts or nutritious soups and side dishes. Also, it’s a wonderful base for cold salads. So, today I’m happy to present you this Quinoa salad with avocado, sweet corn and fresh veggies. Quick, simple and fabulously tasty, this lovely recipe is a must-make on your vegan summer menu!
Why is it so important to incorporate quinoa into your vegan or vegetarian diet? Quinoa is a great source of proteins and contain all nine essential amino acids. It is very high in fiber, which is almost twice higher than other grains. This ancient super food is also rich of antioxidants, vitamins (vitamin E, folate, panthothenic acid and vitamins B1, B2, B3 and B6 ) and important minerals such as magnesium, iron, manganese, copper and zinc.
One of it’s great benefits is that it is naturally gluten-free which is perfect for people with gluten intolerance. Furthermore, this amazing grain has a low glycemic index, which makes it an excellent choice for diabetics. Adding quinoa to your diet will also boost your metabolism and may help you loose weight.
And last, but not at least, this magical grain is heavenly delicious, especially in this Quinoa salad with avocado, sweet corn and fresh veggies (lettuce, red peppers and red onion). So, let’s take a look at this simple, quick and easy to prepare recipe!
Ingredients for Quinoa salad with avocado, sweet corn and fresh veggies:
* Ingredients for the cooked quinoa:
1 cup quinoa
1 tbsp. coconut oil
1/2 onion, chopped
1 tsp. turmeric
1 tsp. red pepper
Himalayan pink salt to taste
water according to the package instructions
* Other ingredients for the salad:
1 large ripe avocado, sliced
1 cup sweet corn
6-7 lettuce leaves, roughly shredded
1 red pepper, sliced
1 red onion, sliced
a drizzle of extra virgin olive oil
freshly squeezed lemon juice
Himalayan pink salt to taste
Instructions for Quinoa salad with avocado, sweet corn and fresh veggies:
1. Rinse well the quinoa seeds with cold water. This will remove the bitter tasting compound, called saponin.
2. In a medium saucepan gently heat 1 tbsp. coconut oil over medium-high. Add turmeric & red pepper and cook for 30 seconds, stirring occasionally. The spices will become more fragrant. Add the chopped onion and sauté 1 minute, stirring often.
3. Add the quinoa and pour water according to the package instructions. Season with salt and cook until tender and the liquid is absorbed.
4. Let the quinoa cool down completely.
5. Put the shredded lettuces in a serving plate and place the cooked quinoa on top of the lettuce.
6. Garnish with sweet corn, slices of avocado, red pepper and red onion.
7. Drizzle with extra virgin olive oil, squeeze lemon juice and season with salt.
8. Top the salad with hemp seeds and serve.
This colorful, nutritious and incredibly delicious Quinoa salad with avocado, sweet corn and fresh veggies is a perfect vegan choice for light summer lunch and dinner. Enjoy, dear friends!
Photo credit: Tofobo Family
[…] as we are, check out this simple & delicious Tomato Avocado Salad and this fabulously tasty Quinoa salad with avocado, sweet corn and fresh veggies. Also, check out the recipe for these yummy Baked Sweet Potato Wedges with Avocado Spread […]